If you already have an .eu domain in your name, you will most likely be given a period to transfer and redirect this, unless you can follow the legislation. It is currently uncertain but depending on the withdrawal date and the deal or no-deal circumstances, the period will vary.
1. If Britain leaves the EU without a deal
- As of the date of the withdrawal, UK businesses will not be able to register new .eu domains;
- Registrants of current domains will get a notification about the changes with a deadline of 2 months to comply with the requirements ;
- During that period, the domain will remain active but it will not be transferable to a non-GB/GI registrant or be renewable;
- If you still do not comply after that, your domain will be suspended by the following year and it will be available for purchase.
2. If Britain leaves with an agreed deal
- From the first day after the end of any agreed transitional period, it will not be possible for UK businesses to purchase an .eu domain without complying to the legislation;
- Same rules apply as above, however, the timelines are moved forward, based on the withdrawal agreement.